AR Research 2015-2018

Since 2015, I’ve worked on a variety of research projects that I’d retrospectively say were all related to the future of augmented reality, and particularly head mounted displays for augmented reality. I’ve recently started shifting my research focus to a new area, so I figured this would be a good time to post a retrospective of what I’ve done and what I feel I’ve learned over these last 3 years.

Submitting my first article to arXiv

Today I submitted a technical report done by my students over the last academic year. It took a while to get the write-up to the level of quality that I felt good about submitting it, but now that it’s there, I figured I should push it out. I used arXiv to post it since they make it easy to publish a technical report while not preventing you from submitting the work to another venue such as a conference or journal at a later date.

Undergraduate Research

Over the last year, I advised 5 undergraduate students on a couple research projects. One of them included the development of tutorials and lab assignments for a new class, but didn’t have a goal of publishing an academic paper. This student did a good job, and added on a persistance of vision display to a combat robot’s spinning arm that wouldn’t have otherwise been there. The other main project involved the rest of my research students.